As one of Canada's fastest growing companies of 2020, we are adding to our team...again! Join us as we continue our growth!
We're creating an alternative, locally-based, food system in Toronto. We partner with local organic farms and like-minded local businesses and artisans, and deliver local, organic, small-scale grown or produced food that tastes really good. We deliver directly to our member's homes, throughout the GTA (and beyond), on a weekly basis from our 30,000 sq. ft headquarters located in East Toronto. We are a fast growing company working to realize some exciting and ambitious plans in the coming few years. We’re a progressive organization focused on the overall happiness, health and balance/mindfulness of our 150+ staff.
Since 2017, Mama Earth Organics has been a certified B Corporation - a community of companies using business as a force for good. B Corps work toward reduced inequality, lower levels of poverty, a healthier environment, stronger communities, and the creation of more high quality jobs with dignity and purpose. By harnessing the power of business, B Corps use profits and growth as a means to a greater end: positive impact for their employees, communities, and the environment.
As an essential service we have undertaken additional layers of protection for our staff and customers during the current pandemic. We have health screening for everyone entering our warehouse, including temperature checks. We are all wearing masks and gloves (and are changing our gloves often throughout the day) as well as washing our hands and using hand sanitizer wherever possible. We are also practicing physical distancing and recording any interactions within a 2m distance. We have contactless delivery. The health of our Mama Earthlings and their families is really important to us!
The Role and Responsibilities
Mama’s Kitchen is on an upward growth trajectory and we are putting foundational blocks in place to move from a "just-in-time" kitchen to a medium-scale production kitchen. We have a diverse menu that offers both fresh daily production (7 days/wk) and large batch frozen production - all with handmade from-scratch components and processes, using fresh, seasonal, organic, local and real food ingredients. No artificial ingredients, no preservatives, no shortcuts and no cutting corners!
The Production Manager for Mama’s Kitchen is a new role and will report directly to the Curation Director and will oversee a 7-day a week production kitchen comprised of ~25 and growing hourly staff. They will be responsible for planning, forecasting, ordering, scheduling and executing the daily fresh and frozen production schedule for all Mama’s Kitchen menu items while upholding quality, safety, and budget standards.
The Production Manager will collaborate closely with the R&D Chef to bring to life the amazing newly developed products in a medium-scale production kitchen and with the Food Innovation & Technology Manager to create and implement standardized recipes and food safety SOPs.
We are seeking an experienced food Production Manager with medium-scale food production/equipment/manufacturing background and frozen model expertise to uplevel our kitchen operations into a humming, efficient, profitable production kitchen, with a safety and quality mindset.
The successful candidate will:
- Embrace a growth mindset and have a "can do" attitude
- Be organized, forward-thinking, and detailed oriented to succeed in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Be collaborative, communicative, and consider "the customer" at every point - including external/internal customers & stakeholders, hourly team members, and financial targets
- Lead by example; foster and nurture a positive team dynamic and culture
- Model safety and QA leadership
- Be excited to make a difference and to put their thumbprint on shaping the growth of the kitchen and company
- Continuous Improvement mindset, recommending and implementing process improvement opportunities to improve safety, quality, cost or efficiencies.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Forecasts and plans daily & weekly production based on sales forecast, inventory, production capacity and material availability: aiming for consistent in-stock rates for all items
- Manages production in a unionized environment: coaching & disciplinary actions, enforcing company policy, conflict resolution, performance evaluation, and absenteeism; documentation of supervisory activities for employee records, grievances dealt with in a timely manner
- Directs the hiring process within labour targets and executes training programs: building and nurturing a highly motivated, flexible, engaged, and high-performing team
- Champions and ‘walks the talk’ fostering Mama Earth Organics mission and values
- Drive significant cost reductions across all aspects of production including increased line efficiency, waste control and higher labour productivity
- Effectively measure, control, and continuously improve wastage concerns: ingredients, packaging materials, WIP, and finished products
- Works with Quality Assurance and Food Innovation & Technology Manager to cultivate a Continuous Quality Improvement mentality on the production floor to yield better processes, to make every production employee a quality and safety-conscious employee, to reduce wastage, and to increase utilization of equipment capacity
- Is responsible for product quality and the prevention of substandard quality: identifies and reduces costs resulting from poor quality; anticipates problem areas and takes necessary steps to circumvent these problems.
- Understands and enforces Employment Standards, promotes good hygiene and safe food handling (GMP)
- Ensures that equipment is properly safeguarded against safety hazards and maintained regularly for smooth machine operation
- Ensures that equipment is properly calibrated on a regular basis
- Ensures that the production team are properly trained in equipment operation to uphold safety practices and minor trouble-shooting and care of equipment
Requirements (in addition to above)
The right candidate will possess a strong program management background, will have demonstrated experience leading medium to large projects, and will have a well-rounded technical background. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by competing priorities. Maturity, high judgment, analytical talent and leadership are essential for success in this role.
- You’re obsessed with all things food!
- 5+ years of experience in production management; food industry experience is a must
- Preference for experience in frozen model and medium-scale food production equipment/processes
- College, University or Technical degree, preferably in manufacturing or food production.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to mitigate conflict and build teams
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Flexibility to adapt to a 24 hr/ 7-day operation schedule
- Extensive knowledge in GMPs, HACCP and health and safety standards is preferred
- Strong proficiency in computer programs such as Microsoft Office (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel), Google Suite, and WMS/ERP
- Excel in working and communicating cross-functionally
What's In It For You
- You’ll be putting more food dollars into local farms so they can continue to grow the most nutritious and delicious produce while preserving farmland and biodiversity in Ontario.
- You’ll be supporting the creation of a local food system, built on principles of sustainability and biodiversity, and demonstrating that this can be both financially sustainable for farmers and affordable for consumers
- You’ll be joining a thriving business driven by an experienced leadership team who have built successful businesses
- You’ll be joining a team of talented, fun people who take pride in supporting the Local Food System one crazy fresh produce basket at a time
Things You Should Know
This is a full-time salaried position, based out of the Toronto warehouse
5 days/week; typically Monday-Friday 8a-4pm, but will require flexibility for some weekends and earlier/later shifts (be available to work any day of the week to meet production requirements as needed)
Answer internal inquiries after work as required
How To Apply
Please forward your cover letter describing why you would be a good fit for this position and resume to HR@mamaearth.ca. We kindly ask that you apply to us via email only, please no phone calls. Thank you very much for your interest and good luck!
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), accommodation will be provided throughout the recruitment process to applicants with disabilities.