We're creating an alternative, locally-based, food system in Toronto. We partner with local organic farms and like-minded local businesses and artisans, and deliver local, organic, small-scale grown or produced food that tastes really good. We deliver directly to our member's homes, throughout the GTA, on a weekly basis from our 20,000 sq. ft headquarters located in East Toronto. We are a fast growing company working to realize some exciting and ambitious plans in the coming few years. We’re a progressive organization focused on the overall happiness, health and balance/mindfulness of our 90+ staff.
Since 2017, Mama Earth Organics has been a certified B Corporation - a community of companies using business as a force for good. B Corps work toward reduced inequality, lower levels of poverty, a healthier environment, stronger communities, and the creation of more high quality jobs with dignity and purpose. By harnessing the power of business, B Corps use profits and growth as a means to a greater end: positive impact for their employees, communities, and the environment.
The Role and Responsibilities:
The Prep Cook position is crucial to keeping this organic kitchen running efficiently! In this role you will be assisting in preparing delicious organic salads, snacks and sides.
This role includes food prep, packaging, organizing, cleaning and dishes. We work closely with small local farms to ensure we’re sourcing the best and freshest ingredients and supporting the organic food movement. The Mama’s Kitchen menu is constantly changing, growing, and evolving based on the season and someone with fresh ideas and a passion for great food will fit right in.
- Previous experience working in a kitchen in a similar role
- Detail oriented/ meticulous/ picky
- Ability to work at a fast pace
- Positive attitude and ability to get along well with others
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, within time limits
- Some lifting is required (20-30 lbs)
- Pro-active and reliable
- Interest/knowledge in organics/environment/local food is an asset!
What's In It For You:
- You’ll be putting more food dollars into local farms so they can continue to grow the most nutritious and delicious produce while preserving farmland and biodiversity in Ontario.
- You’ll be supporting the creation of a local food system, built on principles of sustainability and biodiversity, and demonstrating that this can be both financially sustainable for farmers and affordable for consumers
- You’ll be joining a thriving business driven by an experienced leadership team who have built successful businesses
- You’ll be joining a team of talented, fun people who take pride in supporting the Local Food System one crazy fresh produce basket at a time
Things You Should Know:
Hours: Monday - Friday: 6:00am - 2:30pm
Compensation: Starting at $16.00 per hour (+ discount on organic produce). Benefits are also available after 3 months to those who qualify.
- Working in a large, new kitchen space
- Daily organic, vegetarian lunch included
- Work with actual chefs
- 100% made in house cooking from scratch
- 100% organic produce used
- Fun working environment
How to Apply:
Please forward your cover letter and resume to heather(at)mamaearthteam.ca. We kindly ask that you apply to us via email only, please no phone calls. Thank you very much for your interest and good luck!