The Chief Curation Officer works directly with our CEO and will have full ownership for defining and significantly growing all the products that Mama Earth sells.
There are essentially 3 core pillars of work in the organization– what we curate/sell to our customers, how we sell it, and how we execute. This position will play a vital role in the ambitious growth plans for Mama Earth, as it will lead all things related to ‘what we sell’. This will be a balance between highly refined food curation and innovation, as well as P&L ownership for all product categories including driving sales, gross margin, and performance metrics. This general management role includes a broad and growing range of Mama Earth product categories, including leadership of the Mama Earth Kitchen, all Produce, all Packaged Products, and all New Categories we choose to enter. The role is also an opportunity for an entrepreneurial thinker to help redefine the subscription-based ecommerce experience.
The Chief Curation Officer will lead a team of 15-20 people, including a Head Chef and a full Kitchen team, a Produce Purchasing team, a Packaged Products team, an analytics role, plus lead innovation/new products. This leader will also oversee all relationships with key vendors (current and future), and guide the teams who work directly with local farms.
- Serve as the key curator and decision maker to effectively drive and execute long and short-term category and product strategies.
- Scan business/industry-wide/adjacent category trends, understand direct and indirect competitive landscape, analyze consumer behaviour and food trends, and identify opportunities for Mama Earth. Identify and attend key trade shows and other experiences as fodder for ensuring Mama Earth curation is leading edge and on the forefront of customer trends and macro food movements.
- Drive innovation in the subscription e-commerce space, both redefining existing and creating new categories, and regularly reviewing portfolio to optimize growth.
- Influence and manage the financial targets for all product lines, which includes the categories we enter, assortment decisions, pricing strategies, business plans, and full P&L accountability.
- Review sales/financial analysis, performance of products/programs, and determine potential categories to move upward.
- Review supplier/vendor portfolio, and conduct regular reviews to ensure business success for Mama Earth and sustainability for our farmer partners.
- Become the internal and external advocate for local and small farming sustainability.
- Key member of the Senior Leadership Team, working closely with the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Technology Officer, Head of Marketing, Chief of Staff, and Board of Directors to envision the future for Mama Earth Organics and achieve all business, customer, and employee engagement metrics.
- 8+ years minimum experience in a leadership/management position, ideally at a leadership team level.
- 10-15 years of professional retail/e-commerce management experience in an omni-channel food environment. Previous experience as a merchant, category manager, or buyer is preferred, AND experience in a higher-end culinary curation role.
- Strong analytics, financial skills, and business acumen; must have strong experience managing a significant P&L and operating performance metrics.
- Strong personal interest in food and cooking.
- University degree in a related field would be an asset.
- Strong negotiation skills, and ability to foster strong partnerships with external vendors.
- Leadership skills with the ability to build and motivate a team to drive sound execution.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced, dynamic, entrepreneurial environment.
- Emotionally intelligent, mature and high level of common sense.
- A strong focus on implementation and results.
- Strong prioritization and critical thinking skills.
- Thoughtful, empathetic, nurturing.
Hours & Location:
This is a full-time position. This position will work from our Toronto location (19 Waterman Ave) and will have bi-weekly meetings at our Peterborough location.
Perks & Compensation:
Includes a competitive salary (based on experience level), excellent benefits program, staff pricing on organic food and produce, four weeks vacation time. In addition, you’ll be working towards building something that you’re passionate about and proud of with really nice, smart people.
We’re building a local food movement right here in Toronto and we’re one of the fastest growing companies in Canada. The next few years will be the most exciting, challenging and fastest moving that we’ve ever had.
Our main headquarters are located in East Toronto and is around 20,000+ square feet. We have approximately 90 employees at our Toronto location (80-85% of which are warehouse/packer/drivers). We’re a progressive organization and we’re focused on the overall happiness, health and balance/mindfulness of our staff.
How to Apply:
Please forward your resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We kindly ask that you apply via email only, please no phone calls.
Thanks very much for your interest-good luck!